Does it really matter?

One of the most common questions I get talking to people that wants to, or have decided to, start drawing or painting is about what materials I use. Which paper is best for sketching? Which wacom? But really, that's not it. The materials has less to do with your creativity and creations than you think.

Of course a hand made watercolor paper might interact with your colors in a specific way. And a brand new wacom with the latest updates and super extra sensitive pen might be a little bit better at some specific stuff than an older version. But do not get lost in these woods.

If you want to create, do it. Do NOT wait for a certain pen or brush. Just start.

When sketching I have very few needs. I need a pen of some kind. I prefer led, but it can also be one of the color pencils my kids fills coloring books with. And the only need I have when it comes to the paper I'm sketching on is that it's matte so the pen moves smootly and doesn't wear off easily. You know the paper you can buy in bulk for your printer? They work fine! Get hold of a nice folder to put them in if you want to carry them with you.

And digitally an older wacom is fine. What's more important is the nib. A flat wacom nib will not do the job. And a to scratchy pad wont either. But other than that, as long as there are drivers for it, it works.

I do love a brand new pinty round watercolor brush, I admit that. But they are not essential for starting to create.

The list goes on. Sure, some brands are better and might be more resistent to light and ageing. But please realize and remember that the best and most powerful tool and material when it comes to creating artwork - is YOU.

 

Wish you a lot of creativity!

<3 Aline

 

 

Excuse the spelling, I'm swedish  ;*

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg